Misty ancient forests, rugged high deserts, and black sand beaches: wherever you turn in Oregon, adventure awaits. Pack a lunch, lace up your boots, and hit the trails with Moon Oregon Hiking. Inside you'll find:
Whether you're a veteran or a first-time hiker, Moon's comprehensive coverage and local expertise will have you gearing up for your next adventure.
- Diverse Hiking Options: Whether you plan to take peaceful walks along the coast or challenging treks up Mount Hood, enjoy outdoor getaways ranging from easy day hikes to multi-day backpacking trips
- Find Your Hike: Looking for something specific? Choose from strategic lists of the best hikes for wildflowers, waterfalls, or hiking with your dog, plus a breakdown of the best hikes by season
- The Top Outdoor Experiences: Explore a Mars-like red rock landscape in the Alvord Desert, or marvel at one of the 90 rushing waterfalls in the Colombia River Gorge. Peer into the mouth of a volcano crater, gaze at the Portland skyline from afar, or climb to the top of a picturesque lighthouse. Take a dip in relaxing hot springs, study real wagon ruts on the historic Oregon Trail, and spot puffins, pelicans, and plovers along the coast
- Nearby Fun: Spend a night under the stars at a nearby campground, sip a refreshing local brew after a day of hiking, or enjoy fresh-caught fish at a beachfront restaurant
- Essential Planning Details: Each hike is described in detail and marked with round-trip distance and hiking time, difficulty, terrain type, elevation gain, and access points
- Maps and Directions: Find easy-to-use maps, driving directions to each trailhead, and details on where to park
- Expert Advice: Seasoned hiker Matt Wastradowski offers experienced insights, local secrets, and honest opinions of each trail
- Tips and Tools: Advice on gear, first aid, and camping permits, plus background information on climate, landscape, and wildlife
Hitting the road? Check out Moon Pacific Northwest Road Trip
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
Matt Wastradowski is a travel and outdoors writer based in Portland, Oregon. Whether on assignment or just for fun, chances are good he's doing something that deepens his passion and enthusiasm for the Beaver State and the broader Pacific Northwest. In recent years, he has visited nearly 150 breweries and cideries, hiked hundreds of miles, and driven roughly 20,000 miles around Oregon. He's camped in tents, yurts, and fire lookouts. And he's spent countless hours exploring seemingly every backcountry road this state has to offer, often with no bars on his iPhone.
Matt has written more than 100 articles for numerous publications, including RootsRated, REI's Co-op Blog, and Northwest Travel & Life.