From trendy cities to classic fishing villages, soak up the romance of this charming country with Moon Portugal. Inside you'll find:
With Moon Portugal's practical tips and local insight, you can plan your trip your way.
- Strategic, flexible itineraries including a ten-day tour of the best of Portugal and two days in Lisbon, designed for foodies, art lovers, history buffs, and more
- Must-see highlights and unique experiences: Relax on a beach sipping vinho verde and snacking on freshly grilled sardines (a Portuguese classic!). Shop for hand-painted tiles or authentic leather goods, visit the famous Port wine cellars, or browse contemporary galleries and museums along Lisbon's cosmopolitan avenues. Savor a romantic meal on cobblestone esplanades and catch a traditional fado show in an intimate bar. Explore the Roman ruins in Évora, trek majestic mountain ranges, cruise the Sado River, or soak in a volcanic hot spring
- Trusted advice from long-time Portugal resident Carrie-Marie Bratley
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Background information on Portugal's landscape, history, and cultural customs
- In-depth coverage of Lisbon, the Algarve, the Alentejo, Porto and Northern Portugal, Coimbra and Central Portugal, and the Azores and Madeira
- Handy tools such as visa information, a Portuguese phrasebook, and tips for traveling with children or as a senior
Seeing more of the Iberian Peninsula? Check out Moon Barcelona & Madrid
or Moon Barcelona Walks
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
Carrie-Marie Bratley moved to sunny Portugal from not-so-sunny South Yorkshire as a child, and credits Portugal's incredible weather, beaches, food, and drink for keeping her moored there. She has worked as a journalist and writer since 2004, and is a newscaster for an Algarve radio station, interpreting, researching and reporting on affairs in Portugal.
Carrie-Marie has traveled Portugal and its islands extensively (her absolute favorite place in Portugal is the heavenly island of São Miguel in the Azores), and has expanded her travels to South Africa, the Caribbean, Morocco, and of course, the UK, which she visits frequently to fill up on the traditional British delicacy of fish and chips. She loves photography, local festivals, and an early night with a good book. Carrie-Marie is also the author of Moon Lisbon & Beyond and Moon Azores.