Choosing to do unconventional work is hard work, especially in a society that values sticking to the norms. In We Are Singaporeans Volume 1, we meet ten people who have gone against the grain with their career paths to achieve success in their respective fields. They are:
- Anthony Chen, filmmaker
- Cai Yinzhou, tour guide & activist
- Bjorn Low, urban farmer
- Eugenia Ong, medical researcher
- Eunice Olsen, TV presenter, actress, communications trainer
- Joanna Dong, singer, actress and host
- Kim Whye Kee, potter
- Siti Khalijah Zainal, theatre actress
- Shabir Tabare Alam, music composer, singer, songwriter, actor
- Verleen Goh and Alan Phua, foodtech entrepreneurs
In this collection of interviews featuring stunning and evocative illustrations by popular artist Lee Xinli, find out how these remarkable individuals hustle for their work goals, overcome challenges and discouragement, and stay true to their passions and visions.
Lee Xin Li is an independent illustrator based in Singapore. He graduated with an architecture degree from the National University of Singapore. Xin Li often draws his inspiration from the environment he grew up in and encountered such as culture, food, architecture, and history.
Melanie Lee is a writer and lecturer from Singapore. She is also the author of the award-winning picture book series, The Adventures of Squirky the Alien, Out and About in Singapore, an illustrated children's travel guide, and Amazing Ash and Superhero Ah Ma, a middle-grade graphic novel.